Thursday 6 November 2014

MA-Ness Week 9

At least I think it it's week 9 I'm writing about whilst actually being in week 10. Oh it's all just a tad too confusing but hopefully getting less so as the weeks go on.

This time last week I was trying not to get too anxious at the thought of having to give my first presentation - it was first time I'd used powerpoint and I think I've just about got the hang of it thanks to both tutor and chum input  and it was the first time I'd stood and talked in front of my fellow students and tutors. It took me a good day to put the presentation together - I knew what areas I wanted to cover, what quotes and pictures I wanted to use and I think I'm just about getting to grips with this harvard referencing malarkey, what monochrome colour scheme I was going to use....but the lessons I have learnt for next time are - resize pictures before inserting them into the presentation or else it'll be too big to email and you'll have to faff around with and get very stressed by using googledocs instead and googledocs doesn't have the lovely copperplate gothic font you'd decided on either and the instructions on how to use it aren't clear when you're stressing........ so thank goodness for the ever patient and ever tech savvy husband who came to my rescue to email it in or else I'd have been walking to the college with it on a memory stick to meet the deadline. Thank goodness I was ahead enough of myself too as if I'd left it til the following day to email it I'd have been in a right state - even though I'd finished it the afternoon before the deadline. I'd completely forgotten re resizing pics but then part of me was also thinking it's an art college - they'll want the best quality image possible but no......

But the good news is - it went okay (PHEW!!!) and I got good and useful feedback to work on for the next one, I can't tell you how relieved I was when it was done and dusted - plus I was then whisked away from the college by my lovely husband (who is not a goth at all) to Whitby for the Goth Weekend which was as always lots and lots of fun - had a gothblood* milkshake,won a prize in the Bunker 13 raffle, chatted about death customs and issues of consent with lots of chums, made some new chums including one I might collaborate with on some artwork, drafted a talk I've been asked to deliver to girl guides on history of Leeds Cemeteries, finished Jane Eyre, got a new pinstripe skirt, and whilst I didn't do any course reading whilst I was there I did do lots of thinking and I bought a new book entitled The Art Of Gothic by Natasha Scharf and I did take quite a few photographs too, 2 rolls of Ilford PAN 400 which I need to develop and some digital ones too - see below for view of Ruswarp railway line taken from the iron bridge, took some film ones in Staithes too - and had the best crab sandwich I've ever had in the Royal George Pub.



And home to 2 cats who were pleased to see us, a mountain of laundry, a lot of unpacking, and some very exciting post from Vivid Projects whose current  exhibition  A Record of Undying sounds marvellous but alas I won't be able to make it before it closes, and a reply from the Pitt Rivers Museum regarding my request to see a Conical Death Cap as mentioned in Lou Taylors Mourning Dress from a book entitled Women Of Al Nations from 1908 - I will track down an image of said item if it kills me.......as sadly it was reputed to do to widows.....

So much to be reading.....so I'd best crack on with it or else I won't be ahead of myself when it comes to the next presentation hand in......

*does not contain actual blood of goths....as far as I know that is.....

      

No comments:

Post a Comment